Friday 2 November 2007

Torun, Poland

Sweet mother of God, we're in Eastern Europe.

That was my first thought when we flew into Bydgoszcz. Yeah, I can't pronounce it either. Imagine if you will, every scary post-WW2 image of Eastern Europe that you can gather into your mind. And now you have a picture of Bydgoszcz. Horridly huge and run down appartment blocks, people begging for change (and following you to shops to see if you have any), and a train system that probably took people to Auschwitz. This was our first impression of Poland.

But then we hopped a train to Torun. The city is bloody beautiful. Not much to do in it, if you don't speak Polish, but definately an architecture enthusiasts dream. Our hostel is clean (thank you lord) and pretty centrally located. We are however, in the old town. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the tourist area of town, and that were we to move out into the city, we would find the scary Poland again. Ah well, we do what we can.

Idiot fact of the day: I actually discovered that I had a racial stereotype so deeply inbedded in my pschye, that I was completely unaware of its exsistance. We met some cool cats from Singapore at our hostel. Michelle, James, and Ching. As we were chatting with Michelle, Kaare commented on how good her English was. She then replied that it should be, because it was her first language, as it is for most of the people in Singapore. Her Mandarin isn't even that good. And I assumed that every Asian with an accent must use English as a second language. Don't I feel like an ass.

Fun fact of the day: I'm pretty sure that the Polish construction workers outside our hostel are trying to marry me. They continually talk to me (in Polish), bow, tip their caps, call me beautiful, and hold doors for me. If anyone has any advice on how to avoid acquiring a Polish husband, please let me know.

Quote of the Day:
Me: Do you think it's safe to leave our boards out?
Kaare: I feel pretty secure about it. I can't imagine anyone stealing our boards in Cobblestone World. It's like a level of Mario. Seems pretty redundant.

2 comments:

jake said...

Yay Poland!

Hearing your description of the amazing architecture really makes me want to come take pictures! It sounds really interesting in your nice touristy area, haha.

My advice on the construction workers: Just go with it. I mean, it sounds like they're just being extra nice to you so really, you might as well use it for what it's worth! Just don't let them open any doors for you that lead into dark, abandoned buildings that only they have the key for. That's my advice anyways, you go in any dark, abandoned buildings you feel like.

Good luck, and keep posting!

chicken soup. said...

hahhaha, oh kaare, you damnass.